Sahara Sands of Tunisia Tour
8 Day Tour of the Highlights of Tunisia
Upon your arrival at the airport, you will be met, assisted and transferred to the hotel for dinner and overnight in Tunis. (D)
After breakfast, our first visit will be to the famous Bardo Museum, a renovated palace that is now the home to the largest collection of mosaics in the world. Afterwards we will visit the old Medina of Tunis, then have lunch near the ruins of Carthage. After lunch we visit the famous Carthaginian ruins, which include the Theater, Circus and Baths and also stop at the Moorish Arab village of Sidi Bou Said. Dinner and overnight at the in Tunis. (B/L/D)
Breakfast at the hotel then check out. Depart Tunis and drive along the beautiful blue Mediterranean Sea to Hammamet to see the castles, and souks for shopping. Continue to Sousse and Port El Kantaoui to enjoy the breezes from the harbor area. Stop to explore the ribat (fort) and Mausoleum. Enjoy lunch in Monastir then continue to El Jem, the site of another famous Roman coliseum similar to the one in Rome, and on to Sfax for dinner and overnight at the hotel. (B/L/D)
After breakfast board the ferry to the island of Djerba (Jerba) for lunch. Djerba is a large island on the south side of the entrance to the Gulf of Gabes. Tour the island including visiting the Synagogue, Potteries of Guellala and the center of the Island Houmt Souk. Lunch will be at the Hotel Rodhes Jerba. Return to the mainland and continue to Gabes for a panoramic tour of the Oasis of Gabes, then drive to Matmata where we will see the Troglodyte houses where descendents of the Berbers still live as their ancestors did. Dinner and overnight in Matmata. (B/L/D)
Continue to Douz where you will have time for an optional camel ride into the sand dunes, and free time. Lunch will be at the Hotel Mouradi Douz. Afterwards continue on to Tozeur across the Chott El Jarid salt lake. Overnight in Tozeur. (B/L/D)
After breakfast explore the old Medina and oasis in Tozeur. Continue to Nefta where you will visit the Corbeille and the Marabout. Lunch will be at the Ramla Hotel. Dinner and overnight in Tozeur at the Ramla. In the afternoon you can go for the optional jeep tour to the mountain oasis villages of Chbika and Temerza. (B/L/D)
After breakfast, our bus heads to Gafsa to see the Roman pools then on to Sbeitla to see the ancient Roman site of Sufeitula. Visit the site which includes the Roman ruins of the Triumphal Arch, Public Baths, the Forum, the Gate of Antoninus, the three temples dedicated to Jupiter, Juno, and Minerva, and more. Afterwards continue to Kairouan, located about 30 miles southwest of Sousse. Kairouan is an Islamic Holy City and includes several mosques. It is famous for its leather goods and carpets. Visit the rug factory, the old city and the great Mosques of Kairouan (Okba and Sidi shahbi). Lunch will be at the Hotel Kasbah in Kairouan, then continue to Tunis for dinner and overnight. (B/L/D)
After breakfast, transfer to the airport for your onward journey. (B)
End of services.
Cities and Sites to be visited:
- El Jem
- Djerba Island
- Chott El Djerid
Optional tours/activities available:
In Douz: Enjoy a camel ride on the sand dunes
From Tozeur: Jeep tour to the mountain oases of Chebika, Tamerza
These tours can be arranged upon arrival in Tunisia with our representative. Fees are paid directly to our representative. Prices and times are subject to change without notice.
- Accommodations at hotels listed or similar, shared double room, full-board (all meals).
- Air-conditioned car or van depending on size of group
- English speaking guide
- All applicable entrance fees, service charges, porterage, and taxes for tours and sites on the itinerary
- Personal expenses such as room service, mini-bar charges, telephone/fax calls, laundry, dry cleaning, etc.
- Optional tours or entrance fees not shown on the itinerary
- Photo rights fees at sites – usually 1-2 dinar per person, per site
- Refreshments, alcoholic beverages, snacks, etc., en route or during meals
- Tips for guide and driver (we usually recommend $5 for the driver and $8 – $12 for the guide-all per person per day).
- Tunisia departure fee $18* (subject to change without notice)
Hotels to be used:
- Tunis / Le Diplomat Hotel 4*
- Sfax / Hotel Les Olivier 5*
- Matmata /Diar Berber Hotel 4*
- Tozeur / Ras Al Ain 4*
- 2 People/per person: $2375
- 4 People/per person: $1985
- 6 People/per person: $1855