Today’s recipe is for Armenian Stuffed Mussels, called Midia Dolma. Great for a party or a special dinner. Enjoy!
36 large mussels (in shells)
1/3 cup olive oil
3 cups finely chopped onion
1/2 cup uncooked rice -Basmati rice – wash it two times
1/4 cup dried currants
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
salt and pepper
2 cups water
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 lemons cut into wedges for garnish
Preparation – Oven at 300’F
1. Scrub mussels, loosen (do not separate) shells, and remove beard.
2. Rinse under cold, running water then soak in cold salted water 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, saute onion in olive oil.
4. Remove from heat and stir in rice, currants, nuts, allspice, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
5. Rinse mussels again under cold, running water.
6. Place 1 Tablespoon of filling in each shell, careful not to overfill them. Close tightly and tie with a piece of string.
7. Arrange in layers in a heavy casserole. Add water and lemon juice. Place an inverted plate on top to hold mussels down during cooking.
8. Cover and bake in a 300′ oven for 1.5 hours
9. Uncover and cool to room temperature.
Serve with a garnish of sliced lemon.